Topics in 19th-21th century music, critical theory and aesthetics.
Course teaching: BA and MA courses covering music history, analysis, criticism and philosophy 1750 to 2000.
• 19th century Music: instrumental and vocal
• 19th & 20th century German opera
• The Second Viennese School: Schoenberg, Berg, Webern
• The German Lied from Mozart to Schumann
• 20th Century Definitions
• Historicism in Music
• Analysis and set work: Dichterliebe, Winterreise, Vier letzte Lieder, Kindertotenlieder etc.
• Analysis and set work: Romantic Song—Schubert, Schumann, Mahler, and Strauss
• Papers in analysis of music from the 18th century to the present
• 3rdyear dissertations on 19th century music subjects
• Music and Critical Theory
Module and Curriculum Design
Innovative survey courses designed for undergraduates focusing on interactive learning and learning by experience of a broad range of core works of primarily the Classical and Romantic repertoire: chamber music, symphony and concerto repertoire. Teaching method: historical, analytical and experience-based via lectures, classroom discussion, small seminars, individual project management and in-depth individual tutoring, attendance of rehearsals and performances of the studied repertoire.
Institutions: Cambridge University, University College London, Ecole Normale Superieure, Liverpool, EHESS, Reading University, Kings College London.
Piano & Piano Performance
Students are generally of advanced conservatory level or post graduates. Since 2005 piano masterclasses for Fazioli Pianos Paris, Buenos Aires Music Conservatory, Interlochen Arts Academy, Postigano Festival Italy, and Wuhan, China.